Caroline Fothergill 1858 - 1937 page 2
In 1900 Caroline began work in the East End of London. The 1901 census records her living near the Royal Victoria Docks and employed as a Church of England mission worker. The C of E mission that was very active near her was based at the Church of the Ascension in Baxter Road. It still operates today and its own website records its history:
History of Ascension Church
'In the mid 19th Century, the poor but developing area of Royal Docks was brought to the attention of the Headmaster of a private independent school in Essex, Felsted. His actions led to the founding of the Felsted School Mission Association which proposed that every master, prefect and pupil pay a subscription to the Association. This funding meant that in 1887 a small brick and iron mission building could be built in Baxter Road, Custom House, the site of the present Ascension Church. However, by 1891 – just four years later – the congregation had outgrown its first home. The Felsted School Mission Association contributed to the £5,500 cost of building a new church and a former Felsted student, JEK Cutts, was appointed as architect. The new worship centre was dedicated on Ascension Day, 8th May 1902.
Since its inception, Ascension has always sought to be a church at the heart of its local community. In the late 18- and early 1900s it was delivering the kind of community-based youth work that any church today would be proud of, including a swimming club which taught the children living near the notoriously dangerous docks to swim, and a football team, while the thriving dock community ensured weekly attendances of over 600 on a Sunday.'
As the 20th Century began Caroline seems to have gone into retirement living with a sister back amongst the scenic lakes, hills and vales of Westmoreland, passing away in 1937 in a house called Goldielands, Windermere,